Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Culmination of Mardi Gras

Fat Tuesday. The City shuts down-literally. Our office is closed and almost all businesses are closed for the day. I couldn't leave my apartment to come to work even I'd wanted to because all of the streets are closed (one of the disadvantages of living smack in the middle of Uptown).

Some clown woke me up at 6:30 in the morning w/a speaker blaring Mardi Gras Mambo right at my apartment window. Chappy was NOT happy. The Zulu parade started at 8am. That one, I wasn't makin'. No way on God's green earth. They give out really neat, hand-painted coconuts, but I simply could not force myself to rise from the comfort and coolness of my cozy sheets and down-mattress cover. I turned on the news to parade coverage, since, thanks to that ass-hat with the Mardi Gras Mambo, I was now awake. Dozed for another 3 hours and finally crawled out of bed, only because the cats were whining to be fed. Hopped in the shower and called Linda to see where she was planning on being on St Charles for the day's festivities. Began the ritual that is my hair and make-up. Still no word from Linda. Dressed and finally a text message from Linda saying she was on the neutral ground at the corner of Felicity and St Charles. No need to bring anything, just come.

Where she was really wouldn't have been THAT far of a walk, maybe like 2 miles or so, but since I knew I'd be drinking by that time, I didn't want to have to walk that far home, I'd much rather drive.........(come on, that should have at least made you smile a little!). Finally found a corner to park on, and despite the fact I was likely to get ticketed, I parked anyway. Walked over to find Linda and Matilda and their families amidst more people than I've ever seen in my life. Finally get to them and chilled. Beer, lots of food, and crazy folks all surrounded me. My view of the parade was obstructed by two men who should NOT be shirtless-one had a vest made of hair, the other had a bigger beer gut than I do. Oh, and their friend was wearing yellow panties on the outside of black cheerleader shorts and a t-shirt that had something to do with rednecks. What do the panties say, you ask? "Happy Mardi Gras" DEElightful!

Linda and Matilda and their family and friends have to be some of the most hospitable people you'll ever meet. Linda kept pouring beer down my throat, literally handing me beer after beer after beer (that's a GOOD woman!), and Matty kept making sure I'd had more than enough to eat. The spread these folks had-WOW! I was in Heaven. I love soul food something awful, and the food they had?!?!? Make you wanna slap yo momma (and the actually had a can of seasoning called "Slap Yo Momma!" on the table). I ate everything except spaghetti, which was kinda odd for a barbecue. Ribs, chicken, turkey necks boiled w/potatoes and corn, butter beans w/ham hocks and okra, cornbread, and for good measure, I even had a salad. Don't want my cholesterol to get too high! :)

I had to go purchase some sunscreen because with as pale as I am, I burn so easily. The only one annoyance was having children in the tent next to us, despite police warning them to stop, throw those fire cap/popper things and one of them flew up, hit me in the arm and the butt. I was not amused. Unfortunately, 6 or 7 people got shot, one block over from where my street intersects St Charles. It was gang related violence but that still doesn't make it any nicer to hear.

After the parades, I helped the ladies clean up and pack up their car while Matty mixed me some kind of cocktail that had Vodka and Mango in it. Walked back to my car and found, shockingly, that I hadn't been ticketed. Drove home, cleaned up, then down to the Quarter, by myself.....AGAIN, for the balcony party I had an invitation for.

Balcony party fun! I loved tossing beads and didn't see nearly as much skin and acts of lewd behavior that everyone warned me of. In fact, I didn't see any lewd behavior. I did see a guy get arrested by a mounty, though, and that was very entertaining! He slapped a lady cop's horse on the butt, the horse reared, and the lady and horse took off after him, all the while trampling folks in the path. The mountys swarmed and took the guy down. All very amusing. I met some new people and hung out with them for a spell, and I was at home and in bed by 1am. As far as rowdy times go, Mardi Gras day itself was fairly insignificant.

Pics follow, and oh, my hair is STILL pink. If you know of a way to get the color out, please share because I SO don't wanna be pink for another 4 months until it all grows out!


The Aftermath (looking down St. Charles toward my house):





Linda (purple) Matilda(seated) box o' wine (on the table)



The backside of the man and his friend blocking my view:

Me at the end of the night from the balcony party:

No comments: