Friday, September 18, 2009

Thank God I'm just Aunt Jackie/Miss Jackie

I just got back from my friend Shaun's daughter's 9th birthday party. Twelve 7-11 year old girls, screaming, running, laughing, all trying to talk over one another......WOW. My ears hurt.

Anyone who knows me knows I positively ADORE kids. They are so much fun and can be so inspiring. One of the more painful things about my divorce was having to leave my niece and nephew-when they're the kids of your ex's brother, its not often that you get to continue having a relationship. I loved Maia and Joseph, loved seeing who they were growing up to become, and will always have them in my thoughts. I am so grateful and thankful that I have my sister's daughter Brianna in my world. That precocious little girl is the light of my life and I wish I got to see her more frequently....a major drawback to living three states away.

While children are such a blessing, after tonight, I am again reminded how much I LOVE ONLY being Aunt Jackie (or Miss Jackie to the kids of all my friends). As Aunt Jackie, I get to spoil the kids rotten, play with them until they have no energy left, pump 'em full of cookies and soda, then happily return them to mom and dad! Aunt Jackie doesn't have to discipline or ever be the bad guy; Aunt Jackie is always there for support or advice, and Aunt Jackie exposes them to new and exciting music and culture, like The Jackson 5. Sorry about that Leanna-Lanie WILL stop singing ABC one of these days, I promise! Best of all, Aunt Jackie doesn't have to constantly clean up after messes made by wee ones-when I'm done, that's it!

I love children, and nothing about that will ever change. I'm really looking forward to starting my volunteer work at Children's Hospital of New Orleans next week and plan to devote as much of my spare time to the hospital as possible. Perhaps, one of these days, I'll find someone suitable to breed with, but until then, friends of mine who happen to be parents, please take note: I consider it not only my job but my duty to love your children, give them everything I possibly can (including Diet Coke/Sprite, brownies, cookies, and bubble gum) then hand them back over to you completely hyped up and totally punch drunk w/happiness!

1 comment:

Jus and Kat said...

I gotta say, and you of all people should know how I feel about this, that I think it's so AWESOME that you're gonna be voluntering at the Children's Hospital. You're an AMAZING friend and aunt and (hopefully, one day) mother!

Love ya bunches (and hugs from Miss Faith, too),
Kat